Genealogical Research Service
County Clare, situated on the west coast of Ireland in
the province of Munster suffered greatly from emigration
over the last two hundred years. Between the years 1850 and
1880 an estimated 112,000 people emigrated from Co. Clare.
By comparison the present population stands at just under
has created a Clare Diaspora which has resulted in millions
of people world-wide who can trace their ancestry to County
Clare. From the United States of America, Canada, Australia,
New Zealand, Great Britain, South Africa and Argentina, many
thousands of people seek a greater understanding of the
lives of their ancestors, and an awareness of their own
Common Clare Surnames
The more common surnames in County Clare include McMahon,
McNamara, O'Brien, Moloney, Ryan, Kelly, Mclnerney,
O'Connor, Keane, O'Halloran, Hogan, Burke, Murphy, Lynch and
Some of the place names in County Clare include Ennis,
Kilrush, Kilkee, Miltown Malbay, Ennistymon, Ballyvaughan,
Corofin, Sixmilebridge, Newmarket-On-Fergus, Killaloe,
Tulla, Scariff, Feakle, Quin, Kilfenora, Lisdoonvarna,
Liscannor, Broadford, Kildysart, Mullagh and Quilty.
Famous People with Clare
- Brian Boru - High King of Ireland
- Former President of Ireland, Patrick Hillary.
- U.S. Senator, Chris Dodd.
- Frederick William Burton, former director of British
- John Holland, inventor of the modern submarine.
- Michael Cusack, the founder of the Gaelic Athletic
- Paddy Hannon, who discovered the Golden Mile in
- The "Liberator", Daniel O'Connell.
- Eamon De Valera, former President of Ireland.
- Archbishop Clancy of Melbourne.
- Durack Family, Australia
County Clare has many attractions to interest
The Cliffs of Moher, Bunratty Castle, the historic town
of Ennis, Dysart O'Dea Archaeological Centre, Poulnabrone
Dolmen, The Burren, Ailwee Caves in Ballyvaughan, as well as
the Clare Heritage and Genealogical Centre, are just some of
the interesting places to visit.
County Clare as a whole is famous for the high quality of
it's scenery, it's traditional music and the friendliness of
Where are we?